Hotel advice for first-time attendee
Posted by ststroud

Hi, I'm excited to bring my family to Gencon for the first time, but pretty disappointed in the clunky and inadequate housing portal system (I logged on right at my assigned time but nothing was availble. I only need a room Friday night. Any advice on how to find a reasonable hotel room given that everything seems to somehow be sold out already? I've seen a few "check back later, there'll be cancellations" messages, but is that really the only option? Tough to plan a family trip like this when I don't know if we'll actually have a place to stay or not.

Posted by austicke

Book a room outside of the housing block. There are plenty of hotel rooms available for everyone—just not always downtown or in block.

Posted by colbrook

Check the websites of hotels by the Airport, they don't put all their stock into the Gen Con block so often still have rooms available if you go direct. 

Posted by squirecam ststroud

ststroud wrote:
Hi, I'm excited to bring my family to Gencon for the first time, but pretty disappointed in the clunky and inadequate housing portal system (I logged on right at my assigned time but nothing was availble. I only need a room Friday night. Any advice on how to find a reasonable hotel room given that everything seems to somehow be sold out already? I've seen a few "check back later, there'll be cancellations" messages, but is that really the only option? Tough to plan a family trip like this when I don't know if we'll actually have a place to stay or not.
Do you have a hotel rewards program? Some hotels keep rooms for that purpose. It’s how I book mine most years.

You can also get a room at the Conrad. But it is $644 per night….

Posted by narzat

If you were trying to book downtown, note this restriction from the housing policy:

"Minimum night stay restrictions are in effect for all hotels in the downtown area. Requests for hotels in the downtown area must consist of three or more consecutive dates and must include the night of Saturday, August 3, 2024. Minimum night stay restrictions will remain in place throughout the housing registration period. Room assignments at suburban hotels are not generally subject to minimum night stay restrictions, though some exceptions may exist."

Plenty of other options, as noted by folks earlier.  Good luck!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.